Monday, April 25, 2016

Feckless

So I opened my laptop today with the intention of penning my thoughts down. I don't remember ever subscribing to a 'word of the day' notification but there it was when the computer booted, greeting me with enthusiasm. 'Feckless' - generally incompetent and ineffectual. 

I think that's what's going on a lot of the time. Feckless activity. Global warming protests and discussions and movies and rallies and news articles. Feckless, because ain't nobody gonna stop needing electricity and cars and phones and computers and trains and cars, or even more basic things like lights and fans and boiled water and heaters and everything which so many people have become so dependent on. How can we ever reverse or stop global warming? All I can do is watch, watch some videos of statistics presented by Al Gore, watch whales dying on beaches, seals gathering by the thousands on land masses, trunks transporting salmon unable to make their arduous journey upstream on their own, fires igniting in places usually much too damp for fires, tar melting from the sheer heat on the road creating patterns of destruction - watch all this on a device that is going to run out of battery and require me to plug it into a socket and soak up some good ol' electricity so that I can use it again for maybe something more inane this time like kittens and pugs.

Who knew? Who envisioned when we made all this progress that eventually we would suffocate ourselves in mountains of plastic and wires, in things that were meant to last and were durable materials yet not able last against trends and being fashionable and the latest, the newest, the coolest?

And what about myself and my life? How else do I describe myself but feckless... muddling along, going nowhere, passionless, lazy. Distracted by things that will have no value aside from a short laugh. Things that serve a primary purpose of keeping me entertained, occupied, so that I will never be quiet enough or still enough to think, to hear the silence, to feel the loneliness. And so I type in my web browser over and over again... www... www... like robot that has spoilt, that has no programme, no goal. 




No comments:

Post a Comment