I think it's been a weakness of mine ever since going into a co-ed school, and seeing the effects that I could have on people's hearts and minds simply because we were connected by our emotions, rampant and abundant as they were in our youth.
It's a very subtle comparing, posturing, competing. I can remember that I took very much to heart something someone said to me, "yea, I envy you, you're so smart, popular and the boys like you." That made me swell with pride alright, but I was 14 then and I'm 27 now.
There's nothing glorious in being attractive. People are squaring off and pairing down. There's nothing unique about a relationship because everyone is in one. There's no 'better' couple except when we judge by our own personal values and preferences.
Now, it's so confusing. It's not just attracting people of your age group and in the same class. It's males of all ages - teenage, young men, old men, married, divorced. There's no ruler of measuring your attractiveness because more men like you. Their liking you could stem from pretty queer reasons, including their own complex and often dark motivations.
I wonder if male species do the same and want to feel validated by female attention. I think the answer is definitely to some extent, and that's why the phrase 'aunty-killer' exists. Attractive people do better in sales, make people feel happier by being around them, etc etc. So there still is posturing and playing games and whatnot? But we're all adults now.
Can I also say the media does no good for us. How can one be pure? Especially in the midst of attraction and (dwindling) hormones. How can we achieve God's purpose in our relationships with one another?
Help!!

No comments:
Post a Comment